Grasping the Will of God

God’s will is so big, so much of an awesome thing that we, or at least I, sometimes feel that it cannot be fathomed. Is that the way God is though?
All through the Bible we see that although He does not reveal everything that we would like to know, He does reveal Himself to humanity. We are not left in the dark. There are a couple ways that we should look at God’s will to help us keep perspective.

God’s Generally Revealed Will-

We have the Bible and the teachings of those who have learned about Him before us. This is not going to be an in depth theological discussion here, trust me.  God made sure that His history with humanity would be recorded, so that we could understand how He would act, react and even what He expects from us.  I want to keep it that simple, but I know that smarter people than me have been arguing on how to interpret the Bible for centuries.  In simplicity, though, He has given us His truths in the history and teachings in the Bible.  He has already revealed what relationship with Him will look like, and what living for Him looks like.

God’s Specific Will for Me-

Here’s where it gets tricky.  How do we know what God specifically wants us to do?  Does He ever give us specifics?  In my experience, yes, He does.  But my experience is only so important to me and a few others that maybe like me enough to believe what I say.
The Bible, however, does give evidence to His specific guidance.  I am not going  to name every story, but you can think of a few as I do.  Moses goes deliver my people from Egypt.  Joshua march around Jericho for seven days, and on the seventh day, seven times followed by a great shout.
How about in the New Testament? Saul, go to Straight St., and then later, be a witness to the Gentiles. John, write down this revelation, and there are so many more.  It’s pretty evident that God can have some some specifics for us, but how do we get that?
My experience has been this… when I seek answers, I find answers.  I do not always get answers the moment I ask.  Maybe you do.  In fact this verse has been such a help to me.  God is telling the Israelites, in Deuteronomy 4:29, that when they get taken into exile for idolatry that ” if from there you seek the Lord your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul.”
Dawn and I have been in a more serious seeking mode for a few years now, and He has been leading us.  Not always every little detail gets revealed (I think He gave us a brain for that), but then when, where and how comes.  It’s not always the very direction that were were looking for or wanted either, but as we have followed we’ve never been disappointed.

What would seeking God for his specific will do for you?

If you seek Him with all your heart, it will lead you to Him, His truth and His will.  Read the Bible like you need it to live.  Pray for God to lead as if you were blind.  Be ready for the ride of your life.  Never settle for less.

No comments:

Post a Comment